Fred Malle is a musician who traces new routes in sound and musical research. Thanks to his multidisciplinary training – classical guitar, ENSEA (Industrial and Algorithmic Computing, Ecole Nationale Supérieure de l’Electronique et de ses Applications, Cergy-Pontoise), CNSMDP (Higher Training in Sound, Conservatoire National Supérieur de Musique et de Danse de Paris)- he combines technological innovation, electronic music, and live performances.
In 1999, the meeting between saxophonist Luc Rebelles and Fred Malle gave birth to the group LuniksProject. Going against an electro-jazz scene influenced by acid-jazz, Luniksproject is firmly committed to improvisation, following the tradition of free jazz. Supported by the sound engineer Philippe Teissier du Cros, previously signed to Gérard Terronès’ label Marge Futura, the duo often collaborates in Berlin and Paris.
These multiple machine-improviser confrontations with guest artists – bassists François Méchali, Jean Jacques Avenel, Olivier Sens and Jean Paul Céléa and drummers Christian Lété, François Laizeau and Cyril Atef – brought out technical questions that would give birth to LAGVOID in 2007.
His long experience as a sound engineer allows him to understand the requirements of and collaborate creatively with several performing artists; for example, with choreographer Paco Dècina, for whom he made seven soundtracks from 2008 to 2015. His experience also allows him to carry out musical research on long works and to understand the need for a dramaturgic language related to musical composition. Fred Malle’s services are requested by several other creators – Christine Bastin, Lorraine Gomes, Kimiho Hulbert, Yma, Virginie Quigneaux, Sylvère Lamotte – who entrust him with the creation of the “sound and musical universes” for their shows.
In 2014, Fred Malle realized that, besides LAGVOID, which was originally created for his own artistic needs, there were no other existing solutions to the looper-MIDIclock-script problem. Therefore, he decided to release his software.
A hardware solution inspired by LAGVOID is currently being studied with the collaboration of the multimedia systems department of ENSEA.
In 2018, wanting to break the remaining three walls and seeking the simplicity of writing to establish another relationship with the listener, Fred Malle started the series PostCards.
- 2022 / Margot Châron / L’été des Charognes
- 2021 / Fred Malle / Sieste Musicale
- 2021 / Chloé Hernandez / Lux
- 2021 / Guy Pierre Couleau / Hamlet
- 2020 / Orin Camus et Chloé Hernandez / Si nous prenions le temps
- 2019 / Sylvère Lamotte / L’écho d’un infini
- 2018 / Christine Bastin / Touche le ciel
- 2018 / Sylvère Lamotte / Corps Constellaires
- 2018 / Virginie Quigneaux / Tempora 32,5
- 2017 / IEEE Tv / Projet Nexos
- 2016 / Orin Camus et Chloé Hernandez / Les pétitions du corps
- 2016 / Virginie quigneaux / Space Faune
- 2015 / Fred Malle / Deep
- 2015 / Paco Dècina / La douceur perméable de la rosée
- 2014 / Lorraine Gomès et Paolo Rudelli / Indiscrétion
- 2014 / Christine Bastin / Danse avec mon père
- 2013 / Paco Dècina et Sébastien Fournier / Arthur
- 2012 / Paco Dècina / Précipitations
- 2012 / Kimiho Hulbert / Beauties and Beasts
- 2011 / Paco Dècina / Non Finito
- 2010 / Paco Dècina / Waiting… waiting for … the night ???
- 2010 / Christine Bastin / L’eau de personne
- 2010 / Paco Dècina / Sotto sopra
- 2010 / Lorraine Gomès / Un pan de mur
- 2009 / Paco Dècina / Fresque, femmes regardant à gauche
- 2008 / Christine Bastin / L’entrouvert
- 2006 / Luc Rebelles et Fred Malle / Luniksproject